Vision & Mission:
The General Assembly of the Church of God in Michigan has for several years been driven by the mission of “Equipping local congregations to extend the Kingdom of God.” In living out that mission, we provide many events, services, consulting, leadership development, credentialing, support, and other resourcing to our congregations and ministers. The effort to do this across the state requires an investment in people to accomplish our mission. To help accomplish our mission more effectively, we will be adding a full-time Associate State Pastor in early 2024.
- Assist the State Pastor with the overall ministry of the General Assembly of the Church of God in Michigan. This will include the planning of the ministries of the assembly, in consultation with the Board of Directors. It also will include assisting with any church consultations, investigations, and specific assignments as they develop.
- Fill in for the State Pastor in the event of any absences for vacation, events, illness, and sabbaticals.
- Understand the governance structure, bylaws, policies, handbooks, finances, and practices of the assembly, so as to function under their requirements at all times.
- Work with the staff in a professional manner at all times, functioning according to the policies of the assembly and the Employees Handbook.
- Be an ex-Officio member of the teams of the assembly in conjunction with the State Pastor, working with a schedule to ensure that there is always ex-Officio presence at all team meetings.
- Assist the State Pastor and the staff with the personal contact of all congregations and pastors of the assembly on a regular basis, to promote partnership, accountability, fund-raising, and attainment of the mission of the assembly.
- Oversee the ministries of Church Health for the assembly, including the development of teams and/or task forces, as well as resources and partnerships, to implement effective ministries and resources to assist our congregations to be healthy.
- Oversee the Youth Ministries and Children’s Ministries of the assembly, including the State Youth Team and the event Task Forces, as well as youth ministry partners of the assembly, which are targeted to children and youth.
- Work with the State Pastor, and other leaders across the assembly to fully implement the Academy of Servant Leaders for long-term leadership development across the assembly. This will include the development of resources for pastor-key leadership partnership, credentials candidates support, and support for those answering a call to ministry.
- Help plan and support as needed and attend all key connection events across the assembly, as well as connecting with our 3 State Camps and their Camp Meetings.
- Meet with the State Pastor and staff on a regular basis to ensure that we are being effective across our efforts with the assembly.
- Attend the Board of Directors Meetings of the Assembly, and stand in for the State Pastor in the event of an absence.
- Participate in the Regional Pastors Association of the Church of God, attending its annual retreat, and the regular online meetings provided within the Association and those offered by Church of God Ministries.
- Demonstrate collegiality with our partners, including Church of God Ministries, the Midwest Multiplication Initiative, the Hispanic Planning Initiative, the National Association of the Church of God, the Hispanic Concilio, Pastors Fellowship, and other organizations that partner with Church of God Ministries and our assembly, as the opportunities are presented.
- Ordained Minister in good standing with Church of God Ministries.
- Strong character, demonstrated through a Biblical foundation of living as spelled out in 1 Timothy 3 and Titus 1.
- Commitment to the standards of ministry as outlined in the requirements of the General Assembly of Church of God Ministries and the General Assembly of the Church of God in Michigan. These standards are documented in the current Credentials Manual of the Church of God.
- At least 10 years of Pastoral Ministry as a Senior Pastor or combined Senior Pastor and Associate Pastor within Church of God Ministries, with preference in the General Assembly of the Church of God in Michigan.
- Familiarity with the functioning and ministries of the General Assembly of the Church of God in Michigan.
- Preference for someone who has connection with the General Assembly of the Church of God in Michigan through financial support of the assembly (through the congregations pastored) and/or participation on the ministry teams of the assembly. Connection with state ministries outside of Michigan will also be considered.
- Strong oral and written communications skills, as well as familiarity and/or proficiency with computers, tablets, smartphones, etc.
- Professional and friendly demeanor, with the ability and desire to work in a team environment as well as individually as the need arises. This person must also have a patient and passionate desire to work with our pastors and congregational leaders to promote the ministries of the General Assembly of the Church of God.
- Willingness to take a Level 3 Assessment, including serval assessment vehicles, as a requirement for being approved as the Associate State Pastor.
Estimated Start Date:
Salary & Benefits:
TBD, depending upon the experience and strengths of the individual
If you are interested in applying for this position, please submit your resume and cover letter to Rev. Mark K. Richardson, State Pastor at the following email address: email@example.com. If preferred, you may also mail your resume to Rev. Mark K. Richardson, The Church of God in Michigan, 4212 Alpha Street, Lansing, MI 48910.Submit Resume
Download PDF job posting and description file.